|| Issue no. 50
|Theme: PSi#15 SHIFTS
|Editor(s): Ivana Ivkovic, Marin Blazevic
|This special issue of Frakcija Performing Arts Journal is a supplement to the SHIFTS program of PERFORMANCE STUDIES iNTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE # 15 - MISPERFORMANCE: Misfiring, Misfitting, Misreading, which takes place in Zagreb 24 - 28 June 2009, hosted by the Centre for Drama Art as principal organizer, in collaboration with several other research and cultural institutions. The contents of this publication are a result of the response of SHIFT curators, who have shown great interest in jointly creating an issue of Frakcija with us.
PSi # 15 SHIFTS cannot be exclusively reduced to panels or working group meetings, roundtable discussions or workshops or lectures, work in progress presentations, public forums, highly contingent interactive events, actions or installations, theatre or dance or performance art, multimedia performances, exhibitions, seminars or interventions: rather, SHIFTS are combinations of those formats and genres, experimenting on their intersections, with their functions and protocols. Above all, SHIFTS are hybrid collaborative platforms inviting both artists and scholars to jointly (mis)perform “in between” conventional or at least recognizable modes of doing a conference, doing art, being an artist or an activist, being a scholar or a curator or... either-or.
The PSi #15 SHIFTS are shifting attention to the lost, redundant, marginalized, eliminated – in a word, abandoned practices. They intend to establish a whole alternative school named after Sisyphus, with its own institutional apparatus and a one-night-stand curriculum; they chronicle the dissolution of the American dream; they reenact the history of (Croatian) performance art through a theatre play; they are concerned with misfired intentions in negotiations on cultural policy; they tackle mis-information and mis-reading of signs and strategies of persuasion in the mass media propaganda; they explore the misunderstandings that might cause reassessment; they problematize the (in)capacity of memory, its fragmentation, active forgetting and the breakdown of the psyche; they experiment with mistakes in performance and their aleatory outcome, as well as with performance techniques that deliberately cause various kinds of failures and abortive efforts; they attempt to affirm the terms which, in the discourse on the performing arts, have negative, or even pejorative connotations or usage; they carry on the discussion on the elusive notion of theatrical presence, failure of representation, of the performative sublime (as performance of the unperformable), of erroneous performativity; they attempt to explain and translate the culturally-specific joke…
Random Entrants, Showroom Detours, Punishment and Crime, Via Negativa, Experiments in Mis-Informational Relations, Incongruent Recollections, Abandoned Practices, Janez Jansa, Janez Jansa and Janez Jansa – these are only some of the namings that suggest affection for misperformance, and only some of the names that the PSi#15 SHIFTS will bring into focus and weigh their potential correlation or the impossibility of any kind of interrelatedness.
- Serial Performativity? Dialogues about Chained Actions, Missed and/or Expected Unity, Multiple Geneaologies and Co-originality; curator: Natasa Govedic
- Abandoned practices; curators: Lin Hixson and Matthew Goulish
- Misfirely Tales: Katarzina Kozyra; curator: Leonida Kovac
- PSi Side-effecting Lab: Performance as Research Instrument; curator: Nicholas Y Galeazzi
- Random Entrant; curator: Christopher Braddock
- Cognitive Mirage: False Bridges and Phantom Hair; curator: Karen Christopher (with Mark Booth)
- East Dance Academy, Part 2: Forensics and Fugue for the Folder, by Marjana Krajac; curators: Bojana Cvejic and Goran Sergej Pristas
- Showroom Detours; curators: Showroom Aberystwyth
- The Orange Dog and Other Tales (Even Better Than the Real Thing), performance art in Croatia.collected work.guided tour.(art)history play; curators: Kontejner / bureau of contemporary art practice: Ivana Bago, Olga Majcen Linn, Suncica Ostoic
- Miss | Placed Women; curators: subRosa (Faith Wilding and Hyla Willis)
- Via Negativa Symposium (Theory in the Real Time and Space of Practice); curator: Bojan Jablanovec (Via Negativa)
- NAME Readymade; curators: Janez Jansa, Janez Jansa and Janez Jansa
- Experiments in Mis-Informational Relations: A VJ performance of re-mix culture to reveal Mis-messages as MediaMediums; curators: Medeology Collective
- Incongruent Recollections – Diverging Epistemologies of memories are made of this... Performance Notes>; curators: BADco.
- Almost reaching you/Missing U; curators: Alys Longley and Emma Willis
- Institute of Failure: Explaining the Joke; curators: Matthew Goulish and Tim Etchells
- The Unperfomable: Student Cultural Center, Performances of Identity, Mathemes of Reassociation; curator: Branislav Jakovljevic
- Fault Tactical Network; curators: Mark Jeffery and Judd Morrissey